9.26.16 2

A Birth Story: Sybil Adelaide Cole

A C-Section Birth Story


Our sweet little Sybil entered the world on August 25th at 1:35pm. The doctors and nurses immediately proclaimed her “perfect.”


Unlike Lawson’s emergency c-section, Sybil’s birthday was planned and scheduled in advance. We were even given the choice of two dates. Of course, we took the earlier one (that and she’d share a birthday with Blake Lively)! Since they don’t want you to go into labor, the c-section is scheduled at 39 weeks. Those last few weeks are so uncomfortable that I wasn’t complaining.


I was oddly much more nervous for the c-section this time around. Maybe because I knew how painful the recovery would be. Also, I was scared to be cut open again. No matter how many times it’s been performed, it’s still major surgery with risks. Whenever I would get scared in the months leading up to it, I would try to push the thoughts out of my mind.


The morning of August 25th started like any other. We didn’t have to be at the hospital until 9:30 so I had time to get ready and play with Lawson. The hardest part of the morning was remembering I couldn’t eat or drink anything.


When it was time to leave, I gave Lawson extra hugs and kisses. I managed to hold back tears until we got in the car. Before this I had only been away from him for one night. Now I knew we’d be apart for 3 or 4 nights. Not to mention we’d be rocking his world by bringing home a little sister. It might be irrational, but I was also scared of dying during surgery and never seeing my little boy again.


A C-Section Birth Story


I calmed down before we arrived at the hospital. We checked in, made our way to the room and started monitoring Sybil and me. The monitoring straps were really uncomfortable and kept sliding off. They made me feel claustophobic. Because I was nervous, I kept having to go to the bathroom. Each time they’d have to unhook me. Finally they decided I didn’t need to be monitored anymore, which was a huge relief.


Our surgery was scheduled for 11:30am. Everything seemed to be on track…until it wasn’t. Our doctor had another patient and was waiting for her to deliver. Oddly the extra time really helped to calm my nerves. The physician’s assistant that I saw for almost every prenatal appointment was going to assist in the c-section and was already at the hospital. She stopped by our room to chat and put me at ease. I told her I was scared and she validated my feelings. That and she’s just funny and was able to lighten the mood.


By the time we got word around 12:45pm that our doctor was on the way, I was ready to go. I put on my super-sexy bonnet and Jim got into his scrubs. They wheeled me around the corner and I walked into the operating room (with Lawson they had to transfer me since I’d already had an epidural). The mood in the operating room was light and upbeat. The anesthesiologist gave me the spinal and soon I couldn’t feel anything.


Jim joined the operating room. At 1:28pm they cut me open. Seven minutes later, at 1:35pm, Sybil Adelaide Cole was born. They brought her over to me for a quick look and then took her to be cleaned and checked. Jim recorded her birth on my phone. I didn’t know if it would be too much to watch, but I actually love it. It’s a memory we’ll cherish forever.


A C-Section Birth Story


It took 45 minutes to stitch me back up and then we were on our way to recovery for 2 hours. I breastfed Sybil for the first time and they monitored both of us before we went to our final room where we’d be for the rest of our stay.


A C-Section Birth Story


In case you’re interested: Lawson’s birth story and Little(r) Luv Update

Leave a Comment


  1. Ah, just now reading this–a beautiful story, Erica! You and Sybil are beautiful…hope recovery is going well and everyone is settling down at home :)

    Published 10.18.16