I never thought there was such a thing until I received a mason jar breakfast and salad as a party favor a few weeks ago (also mentioned here)! I thought it was such a great idea that I decided to replicate the salad this weekend. There are so many different mason jar salad recipes (see here and here) that it’s easy to find one you’ll like! I had planned to include the ingredients from the salad I had received and used it as a general guideline, but ended up using mostly items I already had around. The only key seems to be the order you layer (from bottom to top):
- Start with dressing (I used olive oil and pomegranate balsamic vinegar I purchased here)
- Add chopped veggies you’d want to marinate (carrots, onions)
- Add more veggies and fruit (I used cherry tomatoes, peppers, artichoke hearts, peperoncinis; you can also try blueberries, avocado)
- Next include any grains or nuts (I used white beans, but I’d also add quinoa, sunflower seeds, walnuts)
- Add cheese if you’d like (feta is my favorite)
- Top with mixed greens or spinach
I was afraid I didn’t leave enough room at the top for the greens, but it’s amazing how much you can pack in! Once finished, refrigerate until you’re ready to eat. It’s so simple, you could make lunch for the entire week!
Follow me on Pinterest here to see more recipes!
Looks yummy! I can’t wait to try making my own.